Social Issue Essay Topics for a Great Paper
Social Issue Essay Topics - How to Write a Sociology Paper
Sociology is, without a doubt, a fascinating subject, especially if you're lucky enough to get a progressive-thinking professor. You learn about the world and people and debate on various topics and issues. It can get pretty exciting, but sometimes, this joy is dulled by the assignment to write an essay. It's one thing to answer in class. Your thoughts flow calmly, and it is easier to express yourself when you're looking your interlocutor in the eyes.
On the other hand, with a written essay, you have more time to prepare and build your arguments. You can't take back the words you say out loud, but you can throw away the words you write. When you receive a task to write an essay that concerns a social issue, you are given an opportunity to open an exciting discourse. You also get a nice chance to dig more into research! There are a lot of sociology topics to write about. We are here to help you pick one and give you some basic tips on how to write a good social issues essay.
Writing an Essay on Social Issues
There are a few main things you need to know before you even start picking social issues essay topics.
First of all, your essay is supposed to address a certain social, psychological, or anthropological issue. As an object of research, it needs to be thoroughly investigated and analyzed, which requires you to be patient and inquisitive. You must gather as much information as possible; otherwise, you risk not understanding your social issue essay topic and failing.
What are social issues in general? Usually, these are unwanted situations in social life that affect a significant number of people. Speaking of common social problems, these may be antisocial behavior, murder, domestic abuse, drugs spreading, alcoholism, child labor, and others. We guess there are certain problems you've heard about a lot and on which you have your unshakable opinion. So why not reflect your point of view on one of the most interesting sociological topics persuasively in your academic assignment? Such an essay will help you practice both writing skills and your persuasive potential. Also, you have a great chance to speculate on a problem and changes that everyone may witness today.
You are not just describing one of the contemporary social issues; research and even a dissection are what you need to do as well. Don't be afraid to challenge your professor's thoughts or established sociological theories. Also, you need to make a few mistakes first in order for the progress to occur, and everything has to be questioned for the answers to appear.
Use everything you know to show your understanding of the world, and bring out good old philosophical theories. When you write a social issue essay, it is important to show your personal view of the problem. On top of that, if you propose a solution you think could improve the situation you're writing about, it will be a huge plus. Don't be afraid to speak up: your reason for writing is the wish to change something. Otherwise, you probably wouldn't have been a sociology student.
The structure of the social issue essay is virtually the same as that of any essay. You state your thesis in the introduction. Then elaborate on it in the main body by bringing arguments and evidence to the light. And then, wrap it up nicely in the conclusion with a pretentious final sentence. The difference, though, is that in the social issue essay, you have to elaborate more on the real-life occurrences of the problems you're talking about. Be sure to include statistics, quotes from experts, and your own opinion to show you are the person who is living in the society in which these issues are happening.
Don't worry about originality. This kind of essay requires you to bring in as many sources as you can. Quote without fear! You are building a picture of a social problem, and you need to bring up every possible side of the story. Think of it like this: you are composing a paper that will be enough for someone to understand the problem on which you spent hours reading different sources. You need to break the issue down and build it all up again to make it more accessible to the general public.
It would play in your favor if you decided to compare the issue and its characteristics in your country to the same thing in other countries. How is it similar or different? How do people deal with it? Do other nations deal with the problem better than yours? Explore and analyze to make a thought-provocative compare and contrast essay!
When choosing your social problems topic, remember that it's always better to write about something you're already more or less familiar with. If you're lucky enough to be given a choice, analyze all the offered social issues topics, eliminate everything you're not interested in, take the one which has the most material to social issue research, and roll with it!
Tips on choosing the topic for a social essay
There are a couple of crucial aspects you need to take into account while selecting the topic for your sociology project.
- Choose sociology essay topics that are easy to investigate as not to get stuck with the theme from the very beginning. But make sure it can be discussed at school or college. Check it with your teacher or professor.
- Try to write about something that is primarily interesting for you or your audience rather than about something controversial or relevant.
- In contrast to the previous tip, try to avoid sociology research topics that make you too passionate. This is used to let you be objective regarding the question you are investigating.
Tips on writing the text of an essay
- To be as persuasive as possible, find enough evidence and proof on the question.
- Find relevant examples that would be the support to your point of view.
- Make sure the right language is used to express your opinion. Keep in mind who your audience is and make your writing language easily comprehensible for them.
- Before handing in your work, make sure it is mistakes-free and has a proper structure. Re-read it several times to make sure your reader won't be distracted by some logical inconsistencies or minor spelling mistakes.
- Remember about the originality. If you use words of other people, show it by quoting. Check the work through plagiarism detecting software before submitting your paper.
List of Social Issues Essay Topics
Now that the basic tips on writing a good social issues essay are all laid out, it is time for a social issues list. We've gathered interesting essay topics about various issues in society and put them into subcategories.
Religion and Science
- What is social justice according to the "Catechism of the Catholic Church"?
- The role of religion in the social change in the United States.
- The importance of freedom of religion.
- Homosexuality and the Bible: two views.
- How should businesses respond to a more religious workplace?
- A study of Galileo, Darwin, and Hawking: The interplay of science, reason, and religion.
- Reflections on the sexual abuse scandals among Catholic bishops and priests in the United States.
- Not so faultless science: pitfalls of Darwin's theory.
- Sexuality and the Bible.
- The religious life of American teenagers.
Human and Civil Rights
- Why do Caucasian Americans are treated a lot better than foreigners with American citizenship?
- Miranda Warning is outdated and needs revising.
- The concept of human rights and their violation in different sections of the population.
- The effect of terrorism on democracy and civil liberty.
- Should the death penalty be prohibited?
- The ways in which forced house eviction is a major violation of human rights.
- How a corporate policy can affect workers' mental health.
- Is justice still real in our country?
- Is the surveillance a necessity or a violation of civil rights?
- How and why are women's human rights violated and put aside?
- The police - the force of help or privileged abusers?
- Modern labor rights.
- "Stop-and-frisk" as the major violation of civil and human rights.
- The correlation between social media and depression.
Discrimination and Prejudice
- The problem of discrimination - do the existing policies adequately protect people?
- Ableism as a normalized form of discrimination.
- What makes some men treat women as inferior?
- Workplace discrimination in our society.
- Different working and studying conditions for men and women in third world countries.
- Racial prejudice in housing and employment cases.
- White privilege as the bane of POC existence.
- Gender identity and high-school bathrooms.
- The reverse discrimination - myth or reality?
- Skinheads and neo-nazis as the manifestation of racist upbringing.
- Proof that people aren't born with discriminative traits - it is the impact of society.
- Effects that discrimination and prejudice have on our mental health.
- Is total equality a plausible future or a utopian dream?
- Polyamory and free love study: revealing the differences.
- The dynamics between the wealthy and poor individuals of every society.
- Is society to blame for POC poverty?
- The discourse of New Consumerism.
- The connection between illegal immigration and the economy of the US.
- Unemployment as the direct consequence of economic recession.
- Is globalization a good evolutionary phenomenon, or does it have downsides?
- The linkage between economic development and global warming
- The ever-growing population of homeless mothers.
- Can the smart governing resolve the problem of homelessness, or is it up to communities?
- Economic issues of developing countries and their connection to the US economy.
- Capitalism as a destructive force.
- Fundraisers - real charities or money laundering?
- An impact of bullying in anxiety development in teenagers.
- Educational system - should it be flexible to accommodate the changing of times, or is it wiser to maintain the "old-times" standards?
- Child abuse as one of the most pressing issues of modern society.
- Child labor - it's not only a distant problem of developing countries, but it is also happening near us.
- The destructive system of high-school hierarchy: a discourse of "nerds" and "jocks."
- Mandatory uniforms as the means to wipe out children's identity.
- The irresponsibility of the majority of foster houses and the flaws of child services.
- The problems of racial justice in kindergartens.
- The mistreatment of autistic children in elementary school.
- Lack of SexEd in high-schools as the reason for the high teen pregnancy index.
- How children lose respect for themselves because of social media.
- The vaccine controversy: should the immunization be mandatory?
- The impact of television on infant child development.
- Genetic predispositions of personality disorders in young adults.
- Gun control - the issue solution of which is long overdue.
- The correlation between child abuse and adult crime level.
- Violent movies aren't the problem - unstable people are.
- Police brutality as a form of oppression.
- The phenomenon of the victims of domestic violence being unable to leave their abuser.
- Ex-cons rehabilitation - cases of success and failure.
- The correlation between cruel content on social media and suicide.
- Cases of workplace violence as a consequence of overworking.
- Why women being wary of blind dating is a justified occurrence.
- Dating violence among college students.
- High-school shootings as manifestations of child maltreatment.
- Background and reasons of employee riots.
- Illiteracy as the principle of hate crimes.
- Peace and War - can one exist without another?
- The psychological impact of war on children.
- A world in peace - is it real, or is it just a fantasy?
- Political nature of the majority of modern wars.
- Disarmament - vulnerability or pacifism?
- Genocide is still a problem that should not be ignored.
- War crimes: it's all about perception.
- Pacifism - a weakness or a philosophy?
- War coverage on TV as the reason for increasing mental hostility.
- Informational war as the eternal partner of warfare.
- The policies of countries that maintain neutrality at wartime.
- Ethics of war - is such a surreal concept even appropriate?
- Peace education - why is it rarer than shooting classes?
Migration and Immigration
- Black emigration movement.
- Latin American immigrants and their rights in the US.
- Green card - a privilege or a necessity?
- Low-rate employment of immigrants - stereotyping human lives.
- The discourse of immigrant discrimination.
- Forced migration - whose fault is it?
- Deportation as an inhumane act of US dominance.
- Better life or condemnation - what immigrating foreigners should expect.
- The correlation between immigrant unemployment and racism towards foreigners.
- The statistics of people moving to other countries because of presented opportunities and out of necessity.
- Palestinian refugees - how they should be treated by the by State Migration Services and how things really are.
- Illegal immigration - whats, whys, and whos.
- The flaws of US immigration policies.
Addiction and Substance Abuse
- 12-step programs - why they should be mandatory even for minor offenders.
- Drug abuse and its impact as a major social issue.
- Societal impact on teenage smoking.
- The significance of Tobacco control laws.
- Drunk driving as the bane of modern existence.
- Drug abuse during pregnancy - people are to blame, or is it an educational system's fault?
- Gambling addiction as an artificially developed issue.
- Heroin as the world's dominating drug.
- The correlation between globalization and the rise in substance abuse rates.
- Why do college students start smoking?
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) as one of the dozens needed organizations.
- Marijuana - medicine for some, the road to the grave for others.
- The rates of teenagers addicted to amphetamines as a sign of our society's disintegration.
Food and Eating Disorders
- The correlation between social media and the development of eating disorders.
- How food is displayed by marketers from the point of those suffering from anorexia.
- The sociology of food: the relation between your diet and your identity.
- Is it just fast food - or is it a social breakdown on a plate?
- The videos and ads as the motivational structure of the FD.
Writing a social issue essay can be an excellent practice for your analyzing and researching skills. It takes a lot of time and effort, so don't put it off for too long. We know what might happen when you procrastinate - sleepless nights, headache, and, eventually, a failed class! You wouldn't want to see that outcome, would you?
That's why, along with the list of social problems, we'd like to propose an excellent solution - our professional social issue essay writing service. Our expert paper constructors will do all the digging and building. You won't have to worry about a thing because we exist to help you out. Leave this piece of philosophical writing to us.
Do not worry about making your first order from us. We can send you a sample of a part of a paper for free before you order the full version of your sociology essay. Thus, you will be able to make an informed decision before paying money as a component of an essay will let you estimate the quality of our work. And be sure that once you get a piece of paper from Wise Essays, you won't hesitate to order the entire paper!
More than 176 testimonials from clients make up a 9.6/10 rate of success, making our organization one of the best in the industry.
- Customer #7000
"listen, I hate college, it's draining me of all the life power I have! if it weren't for your essays, they'd kick me out ages ago. sure, sometimes I have to ask for revisions, but idc since it allows me to slack off. I really like you, guys!"
- Customer #6441
"Biology for me is really difficult. For real, I just cannot get even a half of the info our professor gives, all those assignments got my GPA real low. Thanks to this service for writing essays for me, it helps a lot."
- Customer #6400
"I had to ask for a small revision for my physics lab report, but that was mainly my fault for not stating my requirements clearly. Otherwise, I'm very pleased with your job, thank you very much!"
- Customer #6222
"Never before has my powerpoint presentation been so awesome! It has everything - minimalistic design, a good number of slides and solid facts! Your team is just incredible :)"
- Customer #4678
"The essay was just on time. Thank you for good services and friendly support. Every assignment you complete is a surprise, the writing quality is always high and I never needed a single revision. I am happy that I found you one day and I'll order again, as long as I keep studying!"
- Customer #4568
"I am amazed by your friendly approach to every client. I love all features, nice messaging system and logical account options. I am very happy with your customer service and will use you again."
Did you know?
Do you know that you are just ONE STEP away from getting your task done?