Choose the type, level, urgency, and length to start off.
Informative Essay Topics — 60 Prompts for School and College
What is an informative essay? Teachers use various types of academic essay writing to check the skills and knowledge of their students. And, an informative paper is just one of these assignments. It is a paper a student should write to inform the audience about some things or events in detail. The purpose is to show something in the new light, supporting the essay by already known information as well.
One of the challenges you may face is selecting topics and ideas to write an informative essay on. How to ensure that the chosen prompt is appropriate to your academic level? Hence, having considered the difference between middle school, high school, and college education specifics, we would like to provide you with some interesting informative speech topics. Look through the following sections. There, you'll find a full list of relevant ideas to analyze and write about.
How to Choose Informative Essay Topics
Before we describe your possible essay topics, let's discuss some tips on choosing a good subject matter for this type of assignment. Here are the basic recommendations:
- Always select an issue you're comfortable with. Avoid ambiguous topics that can be perceived differently by the readers.
- Pick a topic that your audience would like to learn more about. In the essay, inform your readers about what topics are relevant today — don't dwell on the past.
- Decide on the topic based on your competence and academic stage. Usually, the higher your educational level is, the more intricate the topic is expected to be.
- Use ONLY objective statements and relevant information to inform the readers. As always, your essay will need supporting evidence and examples.
Now, we are ready to move on. Here are some informative essay topics that will help to make your text interesting.
20 Informative Essay Topics for Middle School
Middle school is a bridge between elementary and high schools. It's the time when students become more serious in their thoughts and decisions. That also influences the topics they choose for different assignments. At this academic level, you can inform your reader about what matters you're competent in and what kind of research you're able to conduct to gather relevant information.
- Playing popular video games like Heroes 3: Of Might and Magic.
- The issue of teen pregnancy in modern society.
- The history of Soviet aviation.
- How the moon landings were done.
- The professional career of David Lynch and his principal works.
- How to play golf on a professional level.
- History and specifics of Hellowing celebrations.
- The usage of capital punishment in the Western regions of the world.
- The process of building a house on your own.
- A short guide to diagramming a sentence.
- Steps necessary to purchase what you need on Amazon.
- The basic rules to start earning on YouTube.
- The review of the top city restaurants or cafes.
- The best games to play when entertaining (with the focus on table games like Monopoly or Mafia).
- How to learn to drive a car.
- The profession of my choice (explain the reason to become, for example, a registered nurse).
- How Malcolm Little turned into Malcolm X.
- The role of cheerleading in high school sports.
- The benefits of eating healthy meals.
- Using social media to become popular in your school.
Use those informational writing prompts to prepare an exciting paper or formulate your own original central statement that will describe your main focus of the assignment.
20 High School Informative Essay Topics
You have crossed the line — welcome to high school. Highs school students experience a lot of difficulties. They have to make serious decisions about their future, consider the importance of further education, and obtain a certain stance on different issues. They also have to get ready for a challenging application process. The best way to prepare is to start writing papers focused on serious subjects that require thoughtful research and, sometimes, deep analysis. Here are some good informative essay topics for high school:
- How students can maintain discipline in the classroom.
- Sharing the plot of "The Great Gatsby" and things that make this book special.
- The history of Christmas as the top favorite holiday around the world.
- Traditional cuisine of the United States and the history of famous meals.
- Learning how to live with dyslexia on the example of Ozzy Osbourne.
- A famous speech by Martin L. King: Its purposes and impact.
- The way computers function.
- The causes of the Civil War in America.
- Things that make tuition rates go up.
- The battle for Civil Rights and the "I Have a Dream" speech.
- Explaining the principles of gravity.
- The origins and development of American rugby.
- Explain the near-death experiences.
- The implementation of life-saving vaccines.
- Techniques that allow earning money on YouTube.
- The life lessons learned from The Lord of the Lost.
- Domestic violence as a major problem in today's society.
- The popularity of plastic surgery among celebrities.
- The United States and the problem of illegal immigration.
- Interpret the significant rules of etiquette offered by Emily Post.
An informative speech in high school is an opportunity to tell the reader about the importance of certain matters and provoke different thoughts in the audience's minds. That can be a possible solution for a problem or ways to avoid the challenges described.
20 Informative Essay Topics for College
Once you're at college, congratulations! One can think an informative essay assignment is left behind, and there will be absolutely different school projects now. But, informative writing is one of the basic tasks. The only difference is that in the context of topics, the focus is put on the subjects covering which is appropriate to college-level education. See what essay ideas you can use:
- The way stocks and bonds market function and what can affect them.
- The challenges of a part-time job and its influence on students' health.
- The war on global warming and means of its prevention.
- The value of higher education in the United States.
- Single-gender schools' pros and cons.
- Security measures that infringe on personal rights.
- The female population is yet to obtain an equal return for their economic contribution in any field.
- Fast foods impact the life of an average college student.
- Using cheap labor from the developing and underdeveloped countries.
- The private lives of public figures.
- The necessity of making the Pledge of Allegiance mandatory in schools.
- The loss of historical data because of modern technologies.
- Things that multiracial schools should promote.
- The problem of a decrease in average literacy rates.
- Do exams really show the skills and knowledge of the students?
- Can stiffer anti-terrorism laws and regulations save the world from this type of crime?
- How to select a college that suits your life and career goals.
- The reason for the reduced productivity in some factories.
- Lenient anti-bullying measures to be taken.
- Using cannabis (marijuana) in medical purposes.
Informative essay topics may cover absolutely different issues. Here, everything depends on a range of factors: your academic level, specialty, interest, etc. And, if you select one of the ideas offered in our guide, you can be confident about the success of your assignment.back to all posts
- 5 Paragraph Essay Rubric: Guide for Easy Grading of Academic Papers
- Problem Solution Essay on Bullying Outline - Writing Examples
- How to Write a Literary Essay Analysis
- How to Write a Scholarship Essay: Winning Writing Guide with Tips and Examples
- Problem Solution Essay Outline — Step-by-Step Writing Instructions
More than 176 testimonials from clients make up a 9.6/10 rate of success, making our organization one of the best in the industry.
- Customer #7405
"You made my essay completely refined! I've never thought there can be so many mistakes in my writings! You are real professionals, will request your editors' help more."
- Customer #6671
"Had to ask for two revisions of my case study but overall I'm satisfied with it. Earned me a B+, and that's more than enough for me."
- Customer #6600
"It was a torture to see my daughter spending sleepless nights over so many college papers. So I decided to help her purchase her first paper from WiseEssays. Now she regularly orders from you. And I can see that she has become much more effective as a student. Thanks for excellent services."
- Customer #6085
"I am so grateful to you people! I hate math but I have it as my compulsory freshmen year class. If it weren't for you, I would've failed it long ago, but you always help me out flawlessly!"
- Customer #5999
"I never really cared for my grades - as long as they aren't kicking me out, I'm fine. But I have this one history prof that hates people and demands everyone to write perfect essays. You've helped me out so much, guys! I think he even smiled a little."
- Customer #2182
"Amazed! Great quality, good grades. It is just what I need. Always formatted and referenced. Thanks a lot."