Choose the type, level, urgency, and length to start off.
Do You Know How to Write an Essay About Yourself? You Will!
Writing an essay is a creative task that nevertheless requires following some rules. Learn how to write a perfect essay about yourself form this article!
How to Write an Essay
Tips on Personal Writing with Examples
What does the phrase "Tell about yourself" actually mean? We face this question all the time — at job interviews, at meetings, speaking with new people, getting to know new colleagues. We use this phrase to inquire about someone else's life, but what kind of information are we supposed to provide when asked this question? And it's one thing to talk about it, but it's so much harder to deal with it when you're asked to write an essay about yourself.
You obviously have a lot of questions on your mind, and as soon as you start trying to put them in order, they become too messed up and scattered, and you totally run out of ideas. However, writing a personal narrative essay is not difficult if you follow our simple tips. Let's find out how to write about yourself!
How to Start an Essay about Yourself
While the main question in this whole personal writing discourse is "How to start an essay about myself," essay writing of this type requires an initial understanding of who your readers are and what the purpose of your writing is. So, a good introductory paragraph for an essay about yourself should serve to attract attention. You have to persuade people that your essay is worth reading, and your personality is so fascinating that they absolutely need to read about it.
Here are several tips on how to introduce yourself in an essay. Some guidelines will advise you to start with some basic information about you (name, age, education, family, place of living, etc.), which is correct. But if you just think about the number of narrative essays your teachers or instructors had read before, you will realize that the traditional way to start isn't necessarily the smartest one. Remember, you must impress from the very beginning and make your readers interested so that they will want to continue reading your paper. Think about the mood you want to set for your essay — it depends on the overall purpose of your text. If you're applying to college, focus on the situation or event that outlines your personality and shows off your strongest suit, your interests, one might even say, your personal brand.
Let's see how the introduction to a paper about yourself may look like. Remember that this is only a sample that shouldn't limit your creativity.
My name is Grace Smith. I grew up an only child, and along with this, I was the only grandchild on both sides. Accustomed to being around predominantly adults, I was always mature for my age. Even my own friends often annoyed me during my adolescent years. I had a lot of people who invested in me, and I excelled at most of my many and varied hobbies.
How to Write about Yourself
To create excellent personal writing, you have to demonstrate your presentational skills and sound as a confident person. The main secret of the 'how to write about yourself' issue is not to brag. You want them to know how amazing you are, but you have to be careful not to come off as arrogant. For people who have never done anything like that before, it can be the biggest challenge. When we talk about bragging, we mean that you need to feel the difference between the following sentences.
You need to learn how to walk that fine line that defines the way of how to write an essay describing yourself. Writing an essay about yourself means being a storyteller. So don't get too embarrassed talking about yourself. Make it captivating! Try to produce a positive impression on readers. Think of a story from your life that showcases your good traits, and roll with it. What was the conflict in the situation? How did you deal with it? Which positive characteristics of your personality helped you come out victorious? Did you make any mistakes, and how did you fix them? Try it out!
I was the best student in my class, and all the teachers were admiring my thirst for knowledge. That is why I find myself a worthy applicant to enroll in your college.
I studied a lot to have all my academic assignments come easy. That is the reason why I ended school with a good GPA with an average of 5.0.
To sum up, here are the general ideas that have to be included when you write a personal essay.
- Depending on the topic, add some short info related to your personality (your talents, educational background, goals, etc.).
- Determine the message you want to convey with your essay. The storyline should focus on one specific thing.
- Avoid generalizing, try to write about something you are unique in.
- Don't use the essay about your life as the opportunity to brag, but sound confident so that the readers understand you know your self-worth.
- Choosing your topic, focus on situations where you had to overcome obstacles, and solve certain problems using your skills and abilities.
- Focus on one single topic; don't try to cover too many new things. It will only serve to confuse the reader.
- Choose a complex topic; don't be afraid to show your struggles to make a difficult choice. It shows that you're not perfect, but you're still doing your best.
- Remember the word limit and other requirements. Starting your story from the very beginning is important. Otherwise, you risk filling up the quota and still not getting to the main point.
- Add bright and realistic details to your story. Make a list of them and pick the best ones to add to the paper.
- The flow of the story should be dynamic. You don't want your readers to lose interest in the middle of the essay.
- Your entire story about how you rose to the challenge or other situations in your life is concentrated in body paragraphs. So, make at least three of them. The limit is only your tutor's requirements on the length of the paper.
Many people get frustrated when asked to talk about themselves. That is why writing "tell me about yourself" essay looks even more complicated. It doesn't have to be this way! If you need help writing a personal narrative and feel that all the recommendations you've found on the Internet puzzle you even more, you can simply turn to us! Our company provides professional writing help for students struggling with writing and finding proper ideas for their essays. Our writers are creative and resourceful, and they're always happy to help you.
To see how essay writing guide may be applied in practice, you may have a look at the following example.
In high school, when I realized I am tired of the pressure placed by my family and their high expectations, I gradually stopped my extra-curricular activities, including music and art lessons. Instead, I chose to start my career. I graduated at the top of my class and then announced to my parents the decision to finish education.
It caused a big disagreement between them and me. My parents said the importance of getting a college degree wasn't clear to me then, but I wouldn't go far without it. Then, I told them I had set a goal to become a specialist, and I want to delve into my profession without wasting my time studying. My main argument was that if I enter the world of work straight out of school, I would learn on the job and gain three or more years' industry experience than college leavers. But my parents were adamant.
Eventually, things got extremely tense, but I wasn't ready to give up the goals in my career. That is how I got my first interview.
How to Write about Yourself
So, it looks like everything important is included in your essay except for one last thing — a conclusion. You obviously want to know how to end an essay about yourself as you feel there are still peculiarities which you shouldn't miss. What are they? To write an essay about yourself with a powerful conclusion, you have to utilize your writing superpowers. The closing part plays a vital role in the essay, and it may be even more important than the main body. Why? Very often, the teacher or a committee read the introduction and the essay conclusion and just briefly skim through the main body. When you're done with your body paragraphs, you can make a small transition so that the readers understand they are moving to the final part of your story. If your essay has a thesis statement, don't simply rewrite it, but focus on the results you got: what did the situation you've described teach you? Your conclusion can have some emotional appeal, but don't overuse it. Think of the feeling you want the readers to experience and try to evoke it. Don't make the conclusion too long or detailed — always leave them wanting more!
Here is one of the good examples of how to end your essay.
At that very moment, I understood that it was a good thing to heed the voice of reasoning and understand the value of college education in my life. The career that doesn't require a college degree and which I was initially interested in turned out to be not my cup of tea.
The college taught me the things fundamental to my dream specialty. Also, it is exactly there that I practiced my negotiation skills as well as my networking connections.
Now, I have learned how to sell myself in the labor market and have enough fundamental knowledge of my profession to get job experience.
Several Basic Tips on Writing a Narrative Essay
No matter the purpose of your paper, there is a preset number of points that you will be expected to address when you are to tell your story of your life.
- Before writing an essay, note the parts you want to make the highlight of your paper. An outline written for the essay will make the writing process easier.
- Do not forget about emotional words and phrases. The more passionate you are, the more effective your assignment will turn out.
- If you want to appeal to the reader's emotions and make them engaged in what you say about yourself, don't be greedy on details. Let the reading audience seem, feel, and experience the situations you are narrating.
- Do not hand in your paper before making sure it is polished and mistakes-free. Even the most absorbing story about when you overcome challenges will lose its power if there are trivial spelling or grammar mistakes.
- Do not get stuck with material possessions as the main achievements in your life. Remember that it is your feelings and emotions that define you as a personality.
- If you lack ideas for your narrative in the first person, try organizing a brainstorming session. There are certainly some things that are important to tell about your personality. It can be your achievements, experiences, skills, or anything you like. It is even more important when writing college application essays as your task is to get remembered at a college you are applying for. So, do your best to make your piece of writing different from any other paper that the admission committee will read.
- If you are going to write about a usual thing, describe it in a way that would help the reader want to know you better. Choose the right perspective you want to be seen from.
- If you need a narrative essay for a cover letter to complement your resume, tell the employer about the gaps that may be there in your CV. Cover letters are the second chance to impress the employer, so the narrative in a cover letter should tell about things that cannot be mentioned in a strict resume. With your cover letter, you can add personality to your application.
Examples of the Best and Worst Topics for an Essay about Yourself
Certain topics allow you to bring out the best in you and show different traits of your character. While others may serve to present your personality in not the most flattering light. The choice is up to you in any way, but we recommend turning your attention to the themes that give higher chances of creating a memorable and compelling story.
Speaking of great topics for "an essay about myself" for yourself, these are:
- One of the hardest choices in my life.
- One of the biggest lessons I learned from my experience.
- The personality trait I'd like to change over time.
- One of the most significant moments in my life.
- What career I've been dreaming of as a child.
At the same time, when writing a narrative paper, try to keep away from controversial topics. Do you think that talking about religion or politics is what will reveal your personality? If not, remember these topics and try to avoid them.
- What philosophy of politics I maintain.
- What amount of money would make me happy.
- How my religion leads me through life.
- Why I like to be a woman or why I cannot imagine having another gender.
- Why I myself am confident there shouldn't be any racial prejudices.
Why Face the Challenge on Your Own?
We hope that our brief writing guide for school and college students will help you write a brilliant paper and present your personality in the best light. From this article, you can see that the task is somewhat hard. But with our tips, you can get an idea of what to include in your personal writing. If you still feel that the task to write about how you want your personality to be presented is not what makes you enthusiastic about, there is someone ready to get your back.
Why not use the help of professionals? Our creative writers have tens of similar papers on good personal writing under their belt. They are ready to write any assignment you need, whether it is an essay for class homework, an analysis essay, a descriptive or a narrative one, so that is why they know exactly how to present your personality so that the reader is able to say you are an interesting and many-sided person.
If you are eager to know what an essay will look like, you can ask us to send you a piece of writing about yourself. Or, it may be any other topic of your choice. We will write a custom example of a part of an essay to help you get an idea of the quality of our writing, and if you find it well, we will send you the full version of your custom paper. All you need to do is to leave your e-mail address. Get your own paper in top quality!
Get your own paper in top quality!
More than 176 testimonials from clients make up a 9.6/10 rate of success, making our organization one of the best in the industry.
- Customer #7405
"You made my essay completely refined! I've never thought there can be so many mistakes in my writings! You are real professionals, will request your editors' help more."
- Customer #7263
"Special thanks to your support agents. I didn't even understand the assignment myself, but the girl who answered my message figured it all out and assigned me a nice writer. My essay got an A!"
- Customer #7071
"never have I ever... ordered a term paper. jeez, it sounded like a crime to me a few months ago. but this time, I didn't have a choice but to come to you. you delivered my paper a few days before deadlines, so kudos for that. I got a B, but at least I didn't fail."
- Customer #6723
"Was in doubt whether I should order my thesis here, but you guys have really surprised me! Overlooked some formatting imperfections because I'd defended it successfully! Thanks!"
- Customer #3598
"I used other writing services but they increased prices thrice! I like your services and prices, I know what I am paying for. wiseessays saved me a lot of time and I want to use you for my future projects."
- Customer #3032
"Thank you!!! Last research paper you completed for me was just perfect. I could never please my tutor with papers I wrote but you helped to change it. You provide a very well written original paper."