Choose the type, level, urgency, and length to start off.
How to Write a Compare and Contrast Essay
College means dealing with numerous academic papers, which are professors' favorite type of assignments. The reason for this might be that academic writing tasks are a great way to check your knowledge, analytical, writing skills, and evaluate how well students worked throughout the semester. Most students have no previous experience in academic writing, or it might be not enough to write a good paper. All kinds of writing assignments have their own specificities and requirements, which are often quite baffling to students.
Writing a compare and contrast essays might seem quite easy, but as soon as you start writing, you realize that it's more complicated than you thought it would be. However, you shouldn't worry anymore! Our professional writers decided to share their rich writing experience with anyone who needs help facing essays. That's why they collected the most significant tips to create this little guide. Don't worry about how to write a good compare and contrast essay because you will find all necessary information below.
What is a compare and contrast essay?
If you really want to write a sound essay, it's essential to understand everything about the type of paper you are about to write. The first thing you need to do is understand the purpose and concept of your specific task type. Compare and contrast definition can be the following: it is a method used to analyze differences and similarities between the chosen objects. What is more, a compare and contrast essay requires the author to develop a thesis, indicating his or her position regarding the main subjects.
Is Its Format Any Different?
Compare and contrast essay format is quite similar to other papers' arrangements. It doesn't have a strict length limitation and composition differences. This essay usually has an introduction, body part, and conclusion. One of the critical differences is its content - the body part should mostly contain the "compare and contrast" elements. However, these and other structural details we will discuss in the next section. Another thing that distinguishes this type is that the compare and contrast essay varies in logical order and meaning of segments. Here are the three ways of writing compare and contrast essay:
- Compare than contrast. The author should fist provide all comparisons and then move to all distinctions. This way is helpful in case you want to emphasize how different your subjects are.
- Block type. This formatting discusses different matters in turns. First, you choose the criteria you are going to use to contrast and compare items. In the first paragraph of the body part, you describe a particular approach regarding the first subject. Then you move to the next one (second paragraph) and try to evaluate it in the light of the same criterion. The description of the subjects should be provided in the same order.
- Organizing the paper point by point. If you choose this style of ordering, you will have to discuss the subjects one after another all the time. It means that if you present one point about the first subject, then you move straight to the same discussion about the second subject. And you keep doing the same thing with all aspects you want to highlight in the essay.
Compare and contrast essay structure and its elements
As we mentioned above, the structure is close to the basic one. However, let's try to highlight the most important things about each part:
Before writing the essay, you should come up with a good thesis statement. Challenging and engaging - these are the characteristics which should describe your argument. It should present the subjects you are going to compare and contrast and. The thesis statement of a compare and contrast essay is aimed to give the main information without going into detail. The first thing we pay attention to when we read a book or an article is the title. When we read essays and other papers, it is the thesis statement we see first. So, it's important to dedicate more time to your thesis. There are many online sources on the Internet that provide useful tips on how to write a thesis for a compare and contrast essay. Hence, if you want to choose a winning thesis, don't neglect reading extra about this specific part of the essay.
It should provide basic information and details about the objects. This paragraph introduces them to the readers, showing the purpose of the comparison. In this part, the writer should also assure the reader that either subject is worth being compared, in other words, provide the relevance of the essay. If you wonder how to start a compare and contrast essay, we recommend giving the most important information, explaining why their comparison is significant. Compare and contrast essay introduction should turn the attention of the readers to the further discussion and make them desire to learn more about what is laid out in your essay.
The body part
This is a central part of the essay because it contains all the points you compare and contrast. There, you convince the readers to believe that the two subjects are either similar or different, depending on what you try to prove and what you state in the thesis.
Let's figure out how to conclude a compare and contrast essay. The culmination of your essay is the ending. That's why it is imperative to write a persuasive conclusion and sum up all information and evidence presented in the essay. What is more, this last section shouldn't bring up any new information, but only restate what you were discussing previously. If you have doubts about how to end a compare and contrast essay - turn to our experts. Their job is to be always ready to answer your questions and help you write the best compare and contrast essay.
In addition to all mentioned above, we believe it's important to provide you with some extra tips on how to write a high-quality essay. Let's take a look at other important aspects of essay writing.
Compare and contrast essay outline example
If you want to write the best compare and contrast essay, you should create an outline first. This is proved by many years of academic writing experience. Our professionals believe that a good outline is a must if you want to organize the essay well, prevent the information missing (because you write down important ideas before writing the essay so that there is a little chance of forgetting any details). What is more, if you prepare a detailed compare and contrast essay template, you will be able to show it to someone else, even your professor, to get the feedback. Your professor could tell you whether the examples you provide in the essay are relevant and whether you move in the right direction. Here is an example of an outline of a compare and contrast essay if you choose point by point arrangement:
- Point 1 - discuss this point regarding both subjects. Provide all necessary details and examples.
- Point 2 - discuss this point regarding both subjects. Provide all necessary details and examples.
- Point 3 - discuss this point regarding both subjects. Provide all necessary details and examples
A few little tips to improve your writing even more
- Never forget about logical connection between your subjects. Many writers forget to actually compare and contrast. Instead, they just summarize each subject separately.
- Use the following words and phrases to create a good essay: to be the same as, neither...nor, likewise, similarly, just like, to be alike, however, while, on the other hand, to differ from, in contrast, in comparison to, etc.
- Don't forget to brainstorm before writing! This is a great way to come up with creative and interesting ideas for writing.
Good compare and contrast essay topics
It's probably obvious how important these are. A good topic is your surefire way to success. Try to choose the one which is relevant and interesting to both you and the reader. If the writer decides on something that doesn't challenge and engage, it will be really difficult to enjoy the writing process. Hence, take time to pick the most suitable topic.
We decided to share some compare and contrast essay ideas:
- Marriage or civil union. Which way to build the relationships is better and more reliable?
- Military Situation in Ukraine and Syria. Both countries are under constant attack. What is common in both situations and what is different?
- The Islamic State and Al-Qaeda. Which one of those is a more serious threat?
- Discuss World War I and World War II. Why World War II was much more terrible and larger in scale.
- Compare and contrast the major branches of Islam. Highlight common problems, main differences and similarities, peculiar traditions, etc.
- Cars or bicycles?
- Gun politics in the United States - should the weapons be legalized? Compare and contrast two points of view.
- Compare and contrast a country with loyal attitude to immigrants with one that has strict immigration policies.
- Investing money in space exploration or solving Earth problems. What are the arguments for and against?
The most important advice from us is to be creative! Try to find a challenging topic, pick interesting examples and do the in-depth research on the subjects. We believe in your success! Follow our guideline and enjoy the writing process - it becomes so much easier with our tips.back to all posts